Lately I’ve been trying my best to stay healthy but, sometimes I just really want something crunchy and salted. This is where I tend to pick up a bag of chips. However since I’ve decided to be healthy I found other ways to get my crunch on that wont affect my health in a negative way; Such as making beet chips. Now you might be wondering “why beet chips?” well because beets are delicious! They are one of those vegetables that are often under estimated or avoided. However, I love them and they are extremely good for you.
*Here are some health tips on this delicious root vegetable before we get started* Beets have many health benefits such as: lots iron, fibre, calcium, folic acid, potassium, magnesium and vitamins A and C. It helps prevent cancer and hearth disease, and it is also high in energy (it’s low in calories, so eat a lot for energy all day!)
Gloves. (for non stained hands)
1. Cook beats in boiling water till almost cooked through. You should be able to stick a knife through but it should feel as if there is still a bite to them.
2. Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.
3. Once finished cool beets and peel. The peeling should easily slide off, if not you can use a knife.
4. Slice the beets thinly, thin enough you could see through them if you tried. Using a mandoline would make this job easier. (you can get one of these at a kitchen supply store)
5. Lightly coat beet slices in an oil of your choice. Olive oil is a nice choice.
6. Place beet slices on sheet pans lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle sea salt over them and bake in oven.
7. It should take just over an hour depending on your oven. Keep an eye on them to make sure they are not burning, if it takes longer just leave them in.