Recently I’ve been craving this amazing, very sinful Italian pasta dish. It’s made with spaghetti, crispy smoked bacon and has a creamy texture.
Today I’ll be teaching you how to make Spaghetti alla Carbonara the classic way; An Italian pasta made with only egg yolks, Parmesan, bacon, spaghetti and pepper. Something, that in reality is not that good for you. However very delicious. If you have extra calories to spare, I recommend it because unlike some I just had to have it.
A lot of people have created their own versions such as adding cream or, garlic, onions and sometimes…sometimes even peas. Some people will use linguine or fettuccine instead of spaghetti.
It only takes about 15 minutes to make and is very easy. Most of the time you will already have these ingredients in your home. If you have guests coming over and are lacking in time, this would be a very tasty and simple meal to make them. Just remember you could never go wrong with bacon…Unless they can’t eat it, then it’s very wrong.
5-8 slices of bacon. (More or less depending on preference.)
4 egg yolks.
Cracked black pepper. (Ground works just fine.)
Spaghetti for two.
Handful of fresh Parmesan cheese.
1. Boil your spaghetti in salted water for about 8 minutes, or until Al dente. (The water should taste like the ocean once boiling.)
2. While your spaghetti is cooking, cut your bacon into square pieces. Size is not an issue, it really depends on you!
3. Cook your bacon till crispy. Draining the fat as you go. (Taking fat out of the pan helps your bacon cook faster and helps it crisp up.)
4. Place your egg yolks, cracked pepper, and Parmesan cheese in your medium sized bowl. 5. Once your spaghetti is cooked drain the water. Place your pasta in the same pan as your cooked bacon and saute for a second.
6. Add the bacon and pasta to the medium bowl with the egg mixture QUICKLY combine together. Leaving no time for the egg yolks to cook and become solid. (By doing this it creates a creamy texture without adding cream.)
-Don’t drain all of the water, adding a small amount of starchy pasta water to this dish will help create a creamier texture.
-When you add your hot ingredients, don’t pause. Quickly stir all ingredients together, this will create that creamy sauce instead of having clumpy egg yolks everywhere.
-When you cook your spaghetti don’t cook it till completely soft. You should still feel a bit of firmness when eating it. This technique is called Al dente, which means “to the tooth”.
-To get the most flavour out of your pasta, your cooking water should taste like ocean water. However if you’re watching your health please don’t use that much salt.