Who here likes salsa? Who gets there salsa from the store because you’re to lazy to make it? Me, I love salsa and sometimes yes I’m to lazy to make my own. It normally happens when all I want are chips…and by chips I mean nachos and it’s also movie night. However with that being said, sometimes I like making my own salsa and I’m not feeling lazy…it’s normally a pretty exotic salsa though, not like a normal tomato based one. Which is where this post comes in, get ready mango salsa! You can use this salsa for almost anything, such as: Tacos, chips, and on top of proteins like fish. I personally used cod this time, which I baked with chili flakes.
This recipe is very easy, straight forward and doesn’t take very long to do.
Prep time: 10 minutes Wait time: 30 minutes (depending) Servings: 6
1/2 small red onion/or 1 shallot
1/4 red bell pepper
1/4 orange bell pepper (you could use any colour bell pepper you want)
3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1tsp sugar/or honey (I used raw, and you could add more to suite your tastes)
salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the onion into small pieces. Combine white wine vinegar, lime, and sugar together and place diced onion into liquid. Set aside till the remaining ingredients are finished. (This will make the onion have less of a sharp taste)
- Peel mango and cut into small pieces, cut the bell peppers into similar size pieces and put them aside.
- Peel garlic and finely mince. There is the option to roast the garlic before mincing, this could give a sweeter taste. To roast the garlic toss the peeled whole cloves in olive oil, wrap them in foil and place in oven at 250F. This should take about 20 minutes or until they are golden (keep an eye on them, garlic burns quickly). Let them cool before adding them to the salsa.
- Combine all the ingredients(including the onion liquid mixture) together and season will salt and pepper till it suites your taste.
- refrigerate till ready to use, and enjoy!